Girraween Estate is forging a growing reputation as a premium quality producer in one of Australia’s most unique wine growing regions. The vineyard is set high on the Great Dividing Range at an altitude of 810 metres, where humidity is relatively low and the growing season cool and long. The soils are well drained decomposed granite, ideal for viticulture. This unique terroir is becoming recognised in the Australian wine industry and wines from the Granite Belt region are keenly sought after by those who appreciate cool climate wines.
Girraween Estate was one of the early plantings in Queensland’s Granite Belt wine region. Originally a table grape vineyard planted in 1948, Shiraz grapes were added in 1977 and Chardonnay planted in 1981. The table grapes were grafted over to Sauvignon Blanc in 1986 – well before the emergence of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand! The most recent block, our Cabernet Sauvignon was planted in the 1990’s.
In 2008, Steve Messiter began to study a Masters degree in Wine Technology and Viticulture through Melbourne University and in 2009 he and his wife Lisa purchased Girraween Estate. Since that time, Lisa and Steve have embarked on a rejuvenation and improvement plan for the vineyard and have added a winery to the property so that all wines can be produced on-site. Steve is the winemaker.
The aim has been to improve the already excellent grape quality and produce wines that will move Girraween Estate into the top bracket among Australia’s boutique producers.
Some of our medals and awards include
- 2017 Shiraz – Silver medal, 2018 Qld Wine Awards
- 2016 Reserve Chardonnay – Silver medal, 2017 Qld Wine Awards
- 2016 Shiraz cabernet – Champion Qld red wine and Gold medal at the 2017 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show
- 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver medal, 2017 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show
- 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver medal, 2015 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show
- 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver medal, 2014 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show
- 2013 Shiraz cabernet – Silver medal, 2014 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show
- 2013 Sauvignon Blanc – Silver medal, 2013 Qld wine Awards
- 2011 Chardonnay – Champion Qld white wine and Gold medal at the 2011 Australian Small Winemaker’s Show